While good dental hygiene and health are related to so many other aspects of your body’s health, many people avoid the dentist out of fear or anxiety of the dentist’s office. Nearly half of North Americans skip going to the dentist. While they may have a multitude of reasons why they don’t get their regular checkups, the number one reported reason for not going is fear. However, sedation dentistry aims to remedy that.
Poor dental hygiene and issues like gum disease due to improper care can lead to numerous other major health issues. Some of these issues include heart disease, diabetes, respiratory disease, osteoporosis, and rheumatoid arthritis. These are major health issues that could have unwanted long-term consequences.
Fear and Anxiety
While the fear and anxiety that comes with the dentist can be very real for many people, it’s important to understand how to work through that dental anxiety for the benefit of your dental and overall health. Many of the fears people share are similar. This includes the fear of pain, the sounds and smells, past experiences, and issues with personal space. While it’s helpful to be able to address these fears on your own, they should not delay your regular dental checkups or procedures.
For those who experience major fear and anxiety, sedation dentistry is an option that is safe and effective. Sedation dentistry is fairly simple and is literally just what it sounds like. Dentists will use medication to help their patients relax during their dental procedures. Sedation allows the patient to remain calm and helps the dentist tend to their dental needs. This is not general anesthesia, as most patients are still awake even while under sedation medication.
Types of Sedation Dentistry
- Laughing Gas: This is a medication that is breathed in through a mask that fits over the patient’s nose. The effect of laughing gas is soothing and allows a patient’s body and mind to relax while the dentist performs their dental work. This type of sedation will ease anxiety and the patient will remain awake.
- Oral Conscious Sedation: This involves taking a pill before your appointment. The pill will go into effect fairly quickly and will allow you to remain calm for your entire visit. Depending on the patient’s level of anxiety, this may be more helpful as it will take into effect before the appointment.
- IV Sedation: This method allows the patient to nap through the entire appointment as they will be provided medication intravenously. This can put the patient to sleep depending on the person.
Benefits of Sedation Dentistry
- Increase Overall Health. It is better for your health to go to your regular dental appointments and procedures than to avoid them until it’s too late. Utilizing sedation dentistry versus avoiding the dentist is better for one’s dental and overall health.
- Confidence Booster. Feeling anxious about visiting the dentist can be debilitating. Instead of having the worry of going and feeling the fear, sedation dentistry can provide you with the confidence of calm. Knowing that you will have medication that will assist you in the process can be comforting.
- Lowered Sensitivity. Sedation dentistry increases your threshold for sensitivity. With sedation dentistry (and possibly local anesthetic) you will be completely comfortable during your appointment.
- Fewer Appointments. If you utilize sedation dentistry you may be able to combine multiple appointments into one, reducing the amount of times you have to visit the dentist. This will help reduce anxiety knowing that you not only have the option of sedation, but also the possibility of fewer appointments.
Sedation Dentistry in Arcadia, California
If you have been avoiding the dentist for too long or its time for your regular dental checkup, contact Premier Dental Esthetics. Our staff provides a variety of services and our goal is to get you to love your smile! If you are feeling any fear or anxiety, you don’t have to worry because we offer sedation dentistry in Arcadia and are happy to help anyone who may have fears about going to the dentist.