Some of our patients at Premier Dental Esthetics in Arcadia experience severe anxiety when undergoing dental treatment. With sedation dentistry, it is possible for them to get the dental treatment they need.
You may want to consider sedation dentistry if you have any of the following issues:
- Strong gag reflex
- Fear of needles
- Sensitive teeth
- Fear and anxiety associated with dental treatment
- Difficulty getting numb
- A history of negative dental experiences
- Trouble controlling body movement due to Parkinson’s disease, Cerebral Palsy or related condition
- Need extensive dental treatment requiring lengthy dental visits
We provide three sedation dentistry options. You might consider each one a little stronger than the one preceding it.
- Nitrous Oxide. Commonly known as laughing gas, it is administered through a mask (as in the accompanying photo). Nitrous gives patients a giddy, relaxed feeling. It may or may not make you laugh. It’s been used in dentistry for more than a century, to great effect. It works quickly and wears off quickly.
- Oral Conscious Sedation. This involves taking a sedative an hour or so before your appointment. As its name implies, you’ll remain awake during your procedure. But you will be extremely relaxed. Most patients are largely unaware of what is going on around them. You’ll need someone to drive you home when your appointment is over.
- IV Sedation. Administered intravenously, IV sedation is very powerful. Most patients stay awake during their procedure, but are not very alert. It is the strongest option we have. You’ll need a ride home afterward. Plan on taking the rest of the day off.
At Premier Dental Esthetics in Arcadia, we want our patients to get the dental care they need in order to have healthy teeth and gums. In addition to sedation, we provide family dentistry and many other services.
Contact Premier Dental Esthetics – Peter S. Young, DDS:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):