Partner can’t sleep because you snore? Is it finally time to put an end to it? Snoring sounds can develop when the tissue in the back of the throat collapses onto the soft palate. This constricts the air flow. As you breathe, this area opens and closes—with a noisy result. Your nightly symphony may be a result of sleep apnea in Arcadia. With Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA), the air passageway not only narrows, you actually stop breathing. These pauses can last for up to a minute and recur hundreds of time each night.
Many people with sleep apnea snore, but not all snorers have sleep apnea in Arcadia. Regular snoring does not generally wake you up during the night. Though it probably wakes up your bed partner.
Is My Snoring a Symptom of Sleep Apnea?
- Do you wake up several times during the night gasping?
- Are you excessively tired during the day?
- Do you wake up with a headache?
- Do you nod off during the day because you are sleepy?
- Are your mouth and throat noticeably dry when you wake up?
Snoring is more than a pesky annoyance. It has significant health consequences. And sleep apnea is even more dangerous because it completely cuts off the oxygen flow. There are three types of sleep apnea:
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea: This is the most prevalent type. It is caused by throat muscles relaxing and blocking the airway.
- Central Sleep Apnea: The cause of the breathing cessation arises in the central nervous system. The brain fails to control the breathing muscles.
- Complex Sleep Apnea Syndrome (Treatment-emergent Central Sleep Apnea): This condition is present when a person has both obstructive sleep apnea and central sleep apnea.
Can My Dentist Help Me Stop Snoring?
Your dentist may be able to help you sleep and breathe at night by providing you with an Oral Appliance Therapy (OAT). A custom-made mouthpiece can keep your airway open throughout the night. Come to Premier Dental Esthetics and we would be happy to discuss ways to effectively treat your sleep apnea in Arcadia. We also offer services such as dental implants, and gum disease treatment.